Monday, March 9, 2015

A Quilt for Amelia

My niece Amelia made her entrance into this world on March 2.  She's the first child for my brother Noah and his wife Jennifer.  Jennifer has two sons from an earlier marriage.

Noah is going to be an awesome father!

I knew they were going to have a girl, so the Grand Illusion mystery quilt by Bonnie Hunter was the quilt I made for Amelia.  I finished it the week before she was born and got it in the mail to Noah and Jennifer just in time!

It's hard to see the individual fabrics in this picture, but I've used some "meaningful" fabrics in this quilt.

I used fabric with music symbols to remind her of her father, who loves music.

I used fabric with cakes and cupcakes to remind her of her mother, who loves to bake and decorate cakes.

I used fabric with snowflakes to remind her of her aunts, uncles and cousins in New York.

And I used fabric with scissors to remind her of the aunt who made the quilt for her.

Over the three months I worked on this quilt, I thought of my little niece-to-be and stitched a lot of love into this quilt.  I told Noah that I hope in 10 years there will be nothing but a few strings left of this quilt.  I want her to play with the dogs on the floor with it and take it outside for picnics with her dolls.  I hope she snuggles under it when she needs to be comforted and I hope it keeps her warm.

I can't wait to meet her, but until I do, she has a piece of my heart nearby in this quilt.


No comments:

Post a Comment