Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Happpy St. Patrick's Day!!

Hello!  I hope you are having a very Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

I made a new mini quilt to use for the month of March:


This mini is bigger than I typically make - it measures at 18 1/2 X 18 1/2.  Generally, my minis range anywhere from 12 - 16 inches.  For this mini, I started with the checkerboard border.  I used these units that were initially intended to be used in Grand Illusion, the Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt this year:





Obviously, I ripped out the black fabric and replaced it with white.  Then I added a few additional blocks to make the units line up correctly as they went around the corners.  The borders dictated the size of the center.

For the shamrock, I traced three heart shapes and a stem shape onto green fabric, added fusible web to the back side and fused them to the center background fabric.  Then I used a machine blanket stitch to secure the shamrock to the background.  

I did outline quilting around the shamrock and diagonal lines in the border.  I'm very pleased with the way this mini turned out.  It's hanging on my cubicle wall at work.  

Normally, it's only the ladies that notice/comment on my minis but a few of the men have commented on this one!  

How are you doing with your resolutions this year?  Is anyone still keeping them?  So far, I am still hanging in there on my fabric diet.  The only fabric purchased in February was the backing for this mini (a very pretty green fabric with Celtic knot shamrocks), so I've still only purchased backings/borders/bindings and my total fabric expenditures this year are less than $20.  Woo hoo!


No comments:

Post a Comment